Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What is Fasting?




                Fasting is, in the most common sense, willingly abstaining from food, water, or both for a set period of time. Of course, there are hundreds, if not thousands of different ways to fast. You can fast things that are not food and water, or you can fast more than food and water. My favorite way to fast is the Daniel fast, where you do not eat or drink from six in the morning until six at night.

                Fasting is safe and easy. As long as you do not do anything reckless, such as go a month without food or water on your first fast, you will be fine. Many times, I wanted to go days or weeks without food but I was rushing into things. My mother used my pastor as an example. "Our Bishop can fast the way he does because he has gotten used to it. His body is ready for going days without eating now. You should take it slowly. Just miss a meal for a day."

                At first, I did not fully understand what my mother meant. I was excited to fast and ready to go! I was determined, who cared about the rest? She was my mother, though, so I decided to listen to her and compromise. My first fast was the Daniel fast. The day was long and I was hungry, but I devoted my time to prayer and reading. When the fast was over, I was all but reluctant to eat. That is when I understood my mother's words. When it comes to fasting, we must ease into it.

                Why should Christians fast? Well, for starters, it is healthy for our bodies to fast every now and then. It cleans out our digestive system and purifies our bodies. It lets our body do more using the energy that it normally uses for digestion. It is a great body cleaner. Aside from the healthy side of fasting, there is also a major spiritual side to it. After all, it is one of the five ways of spiritual growth.

                Fasting, hand in hand with prayer, brings major results to one's life. When asking my disciples what fasting is, they all gave the same type of response: "it's when you give up food and stuff to give that time to praying and reading." Exactly right! When we give up food and meals and Facebook and other things, we do not simply give it up for a while to prove we could do it. We are giving up the desires of the flesh in order to edify the spirit. The time we normally would be spending on Tumbler would go straight to praying for those in need or praying to God for more of His presence or anything at all. The time you would spend on Facebook will be spent meditating on the word. The time you would be spending eating a big dinner and laying around would go to prayer and praising God. Fasting, in hand with other spiritual disciplines, creates a more spiritual aware state of mind and helps to build a closer relationship with God.

                Not everyone can fast food. Some people have been told, by their doctors, that they cannot afford to miss a meal for medical reasons. In this case, there is more of a reason to fast things like television or the internet or the cell phone. Everyone can fast something, but it comes down to this: are you willing to crucify the flesh in order to grow in the spirit, or are you going to let your flesh have control?

                Fasting is an act, like prayer, that can be done at any time for any reason. Often times, I fast simply because I can. I will try new fasts and new ideas. It is always interesting to try these new things. It brings me closer to God and I learn so much within those hours.

                If you are ready and willing to fast, I would say two things. First, pray to God of when to fast, what to fast, why you are fasting, and how long to fast. Second, I would say to remember Matthew 6:16-18. "And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fast may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment