Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Media Fast




                The reason why I did not post anything yesterday was because I was doing a twenty-four hour media fast. That means no laptop, no internet, no music, no cell phone, no video games, and no other forms of media for twenty four hours. It was hard.

                The first thing that I do every morning is wake up and jump into this blog, but yesterday I jumped up and had to remind myself not to even touch my laptop. I got together with a few of my friends from the Christian club on campus and we prayed. Then, I organized an event for the campus with one of them. I set up three meetings, switched my major, completed a group project, planned a party, prayed over people, worked out with my roommate, and went on a late night run around the campus with a friend. It was not a normal day.

                As hard as it was to not grab my phone and see if anyone was texting me or calling me, I had to keep my focus on the world around me. It was an eye opening experience. It made me appreciate what I have around me more; and it honestly has made an impact on how I want to spend my time now.

                If you have never fasted and you want to try something that will help get you closer to God, try a twenty-four hour fast of something. It can be just Facebook, or all of media, or of your laptop, or from coffee. There are plenty of ways to fast as opposed to just not eating. It is helpful to yourself and to your relationship with Christ. Do not fear trying something new. New experiences give you new knowledge and wisdom.


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment