Friday, October 19, 2012

Are Tattoos Bad?




                I have not met a Christian with my point of view on tattoos that is my age. I have nothing particularly against tattoos. They are an expression of yourself and what you feel and think. I have no problem with expressing yourself. Everyone should express themselves. Again, I have nothing against people who get tattoos, I just do not feel it necessary to myself. I have never had the urge to have a tattoo. In fact, I find the urge pulls me in the other direction.

                I understand that tattoos are a form of expression and representation of a part of one's self. Again, I have no problem with this at all; but I am a man of action. I know many friends who want to get Biblical tattoos for themselves; not to show off to others, but to remind themselves of Christ every day. I find no problem with this idea; but again, I am a man of action. I would never want someone to know that I was a Christian because of a tattoo or an article of clothing. If someone cannot tell that I am a Christian through my actions, I am not representing Christ properly. If someone knows me as a Christian because of a tattoo instead of the love that I show them, then I might as well not even call myself a Christian. I should be showing God through His love to others.

                The reason why I will never get a tattoo is not because of some religious rule of my upbringing. It is because I am a messenger of Christ, and I want to represent Him strictly by Him and not by myself. I want His love to show, not a tattoo of Him. If my actions are not speaking loud enough, then I am in need of change.

                1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, "or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?  You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."  Our body is a temple that was purchased by God. I look at it this way. Whatever I would do to my body, I should be willing to do to a church. If I am willing to tattoo my body, I should be willing to spray paint on a church. If I am willing to eat right, I should be willing to fill the church with good Heavenly food. Our body is a temple and we should respect it as such; because it does not matter what we think, it is God's temple and we will have to tell Him what we did with it.

                Aside from all of that, Leviticus 19:28 says, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoos marks on yourselves. I am the Lord." It is up to you and your relationship with God if you will follow this law or not. I, personally, will choose to put God's will above mine. I know that many people say that many of the Old testament laws no longer are needed due to the coming of Jesus Christ. I agree. But I also agree that not every law was put into remission. This is a personal choice, and I have made my decision. Not everyone will agree with me, and I am fine with that. I will not judge a fellow believer for having a cross on their shoulder. I do not think that it is wrong to represent Christ. All that I will say is that the urge is not on my heart, and that God's will shall always be first to me.


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment