Monday, June 25, 2012

The Only Judge




                Last night, a friend of mine asked me for forgiveness. I asked him what for. He told me that he was talking behind my back. I wanted to forgive him on the spot, but I wanted to know what he had said first so that it would never have to be talked about again. He told me that he was talking behind my back, calling me judgmental and that I thought that I was so righteous and whatnot. My first reactions was, "he's right." I told him that I was the one who needed to ask for forgiveness. I realized that I was being judgmental towards him because I felt as if I was the better Christian and needed to teach him. Who am I to say who the "better Christian" is, if there even is such a thing?

                Who am I to judge others? I did not make them. I do not know what they have been through. I do not know them truly. I only know what I see, and to judge them on what I see is just as bad as picking a wife according to looks without getting to know her or even caring about her personality. Romans 5:8 says, "but God showed His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." If God loved us while we did wrong, what right do we have to cast judgment when we see someone sinning? Are we better than God that we do not need to show love? Matthew 7:1 says, "judge not, that you be not judged." We have no place to judge. The only one who can judge is the one who sits upon the great white throne. That is the seat of God.

                Revelation 20:11 says, "Then I saw a great white throne and Him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from His presence, and there was no place for them." There is one great throne, there is someone already seated upon it, and no other throne can stand up in its presence. All of our high horses will drop us the moment that judgment day comes, and it will be a long drop if we do not get off not and humble ourselves. I have much work to do. No matter how important we may think that we are or what roles and positions and titles we have, we must remember Romans 14:4. "Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand." No one that we see belongs to us. We cannot judge anyone, no matter how right we may think that we are. God is the ultimate judge and that is the end of it. There is no pre-judgement where we may judge others, or a second judge to make sure that God made the right call. Who are we to judge others? No amount of titles and positions make us any closer to God than any other man. We are all sinners who have fallen short. It does not matter if I see someone who has murdered. I cannot say, "well I am a sinner, but at least I didn't murder someone," because sin is all sin in the eyes of God and it is all offensive and deserved death.

                Matthew 7:1-6 says, "Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' where there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." We cannot pass judgment until we are perfect. None of us are truly perfect. Yes, we are perfect in the sight of God; but how many of us can go a year without sinning in any way? Even anger, pride, envy, or ungodly thoughts? None of us can do it. That is why we were all in the boat to Hell; and that is why Jesus came for all, not for some who needed it, because everyone needs Him.

                We cannot judge others. None of us are perfect enough. None of us are good enough. All that we can do is humble ourselves and let God work in us. Let us worry about ourselves before we even consider judging others. The next time that we want to judge someone, let's remember this: Who are we that God needs our help judging? Is God not omniscient or omnipresent that He needs us to be second judges to clean up His mistakes and catch the things that He missed? We are not all knowing. We do not know. We must focus on ourselves. How can we judge someone for having a hole in their shirt if we are walking out of our house naked? God is the only judge. We must not offending Him by trying to get on the great white throne.


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment