Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Disciples




                Yesterday, at work, my second disciple came back to Christ! It was a struggling experience, but it was well worth it! In Luke 10:15, it says "in the same way, I tell you, there is a rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." As one of my closest friends says, "every time a soul is saved, there is a party in Heaven." Saving souls is not a small thing. It is a huge celebration! It is so important, that Christ came and died on the cross just to open up the opportunity. It is so important that Christians go to other countries and risk their lives in situations where the penalty for preaching the gospel is death just to save souls. It is important and a big deal when a soul is saved, and it should be celebrated; but that is not where Christ stopped. The last thing Christ told us to do, just as He was going back up to Heaven, was to make disciples of every nation (Matthew 28:18-20)

                It is our duty as Christians to go out and make disciples. That does not mean that you have to go to another country, or that you can sit in your room. I will touch that subject another time. What is important, whether you are down the street or across the world, is that you give your time to God in order to save souls and make disciples. Now, saving souls should not become a game or a competition. That is un-Christ like. Every soul is still a human being who deserves to be treated as a human being. Every person deserves to be treated as a human being and not an object. In addition, the number of disciples that you have or have had should not be a competition either, because you will often learn a thing or two from them as well. Treat them as people, not objects or numbers.

                I find it interesting how hard my disciples make me think, because of the questions they ask. Most Christians that I know are either too afraid to ask, never thought of it, or answered it already so it never came up. It gives me an opportunity to see if I was paying attention to God when I took my time out to learn. It also gives me an opportunity to allow the Holy Spirit to talk, which is always nice, but difficult to do because it requires total submission and humility, and I am far from humble.

                In the end of all of this, I am glad that my disciple is back, and I praise and thank God for his return! I am not here to make anyone try to win souls or make disciples; but I am saying that it is an important part of the Christian life to help others find Christ and to help teach those who are seeking answers. We must teach out of love and not our own goals. It was only when I stopped trying to win his soul and tried to love him and understand him that the Holy Spirit spoke to him and allowed the opportunity. We must love people as human beings and not as tools or objects to be won. We must truly show God's love at all times. That is the only way to expand the Kingdom.

                I write this in dedication to my "Golden Boys" (Inside joke everyone, sorry)

                                                                                                                                       -D

               

No comments:

Post a Comment