Saturday, June 9, 2012

In All We Do




                1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God." While talking to my "disciple" earlier on last week, he told me about his future plan and how he wanted to glorify God. He is a humble spirit, and I loved the idea of giving everything to God; but I began to think to myself. When I read this verse, I often think of my future career and money and plans that may take years; but the verse says do "everything" for the glory of God. Everything calls for just that, everything.

                This verse tells me that my talking, my hanging out with my friends, my lazy days, my work, my school and classes, my every moment should be devoted to the glory of my God. How do I do this though? I remembered something that one of my mentors said. "An elderly Christian man can go to his favorite restaurant and ask the waitresses if they need prayer or just minister to them every morning. A working man can be an example of Christ at their job and for their children, always being willing to be an example to others and share the gospel. A college student can minister to roommates and other college students by living the example, going out and helping and spreading God's word." Of course, the word "man" can apply to women as well. The point is, we are called to live to glorify God; not just with our big picture future, but with our day to day living present.

                Why must Christians glorify God, though? 1 Corinthians 6:20 says, "you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." We glorify God for saving us from a death that we deserved, and a death that we could have never bought our way out of. Because Jesus Christ saved us from Hell, we dedicate our saved lives to glorifying Him. We glorify Him because He deserves it. He did not need to save us. He has everything that has ever been made. He saved us out of love, not necessity. That, in my book, is worthy of glory. That love is unlike any other and deserves true worship at all times.

                How do we glorify God with everything? How can a basketball player glorify God? He or she could thank God at all times and put the success towards God and not themselves and use their wealth to further the kingdom of God. How can a taxi cab driver give glory to God daily? By being kind and generous to all of their customers and being willing to minister to anyone who steps into their cab. How can someone who does a stereotypical office desk job glorify God daily? By being a light in the office and shining God's light, always being willing to help without anything in return.

                There is always a way to glorify God, so just as Colossians 3:23 says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." Do everything for Christ, not for yourself or men. That is what we, as Christians, are called to do.


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment