Thursday, November 1, 2012

Phone Test




                How many of us carry our phones on us at all times? How many of us run home when our battery is low or carry a charger with us? How many of us have our whole lives on our phones? How many of us would be devastated if something happened to our phones? It is an interesting situation to think of. How was it fifty years ago or so when cell phones were not a thing, or when the internet was a science-fiction idea. Now, first of all, this is not about me saying that cell phones are evil and belong in Hell. Far from it! You can do so much good with cell phones. I will say this much. How important cell phones are in our lives should be half as important as the Bible is.

                Imagine if we carried around a Bible as often as we carried around a phone. Imagine if we had our noses in our Bibles half as often as we had them in our phones. Imagine if we asked for people's numbers, not to date, but we build meaningful relationships. Imagine if we prayed as much as we talked on the phone. Imagine if our phones were only half as important as our Lord.

                We are living in a day and age where electronics are becoming more and more popular by the month. We are living in a time where materialistic things seem to be looking more and more important. I am not saying that cell phones are not important. They are! But we need to remember what is paramount: God.

                I once took a day off of my phone. At first it was hard because I was thinking about my phone; but then I began to enjoy the liberating feeling. If anyone needed me, they somehow found me. It was too easy. In fact, it was so easy I almost didn't believe it. I wanted to try going another twenty-four hours without my phone. It is when I put down my thoughts of how important it was and let God put into perspective what was important that I began to understand things. I was set free by Christ from all things, even the mind set that I could not survive without my phone.

                Here is my challenge: Could you go a day without your phone? If the answer is no, could you go a day without prayer? If the answer is yes, then take a minute to examine what that means to you. What is important to you, and is that how it should be?


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment