Friday, November 2, 2012

Family In Christ




                We, as Christians, are a part of a larger body. It is not just about ourselves and God. We have brothers and sisters in Christ. We can open our eyes and pour out our hearts to fellow believers because they will show us the love of God. We have a family in Christ. We are not alone.

                Yes, we will get on each other's nerves. We are human still. We will annoy each other, make each other mad, offend each other, and all of the other lovely things that brothers and sisters do to each other; but underneath it all is unity. Our family is rooted on the unity that Christ brings us. Ephesians 4:2-6 says, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were all called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all."

                We all serve one Lord, we follow one God, we receive love and forgiveness from one source, and we are all one in Jesus Christ. There is no reason for any division within the church body. Ever. Anyone who fights with another brother or sister is fighting against the temple of God, or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who lives inside of you? (1 Corinthians 6:19) If you fight with your brother or sister, you are fighting with the Lord. You must remember that our unity is not a unification of parts. We are all one with Christ. We have one goal, one Lord, one King, one Savior, one God. We are one under His love and mercy.

                Growing up, I visited my Aunt's house every other summer. I was younger, so I could not make food or do much for myself. My three older cousins all had to take care of me. I would wake them up early, demand the pickiest of foods possible, bug them to play games with me (especially when they were busy) and get them in trouble at any chance that I could get. I was a brat, to the "T." Through all of my annoying ways and my bratty habits; when it comes down to it, all three of them would have my back if something happened to me. That is love. They were, as Ephesians 4 tells us to be, patient and bearing with one another in love. They were humble when I was being selfish. They were patient when I was riding their last nerves. They were bearing me with love when I was getting them in trouble. I love the three of them to death! They are my family.

                All in all, they showed me what 1 Timothy 5:8 looked like: "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." Because I can look back and see what they did for me, I now know how to show that patient, humble and enduring love to others.

                We might get annoyed with one another, and want to just abandon each other; but we are unified in Christ. We are brothers and sisters in Christ. It is our duty to help and love our brothers and sisters with a loving and humble spirit. Let us put this unity into action every day of our lives. We are the body of Christ, Let us not disappoint our Heavenly Father.


                                                                                                                                         -D

1 comment: