Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Why the Cross




                I was scanning the internet, looking for pictures to use for future blogs, when I came across a question that someone had asked. This person asked, "why do Christians use the cross as their symbol for Christianity? If I was Christ and went through all of that, I would want to stay as far away from a cross as possible."

                At first, I thought, "well Christ isn't like us. What does He have to fear? Dying again? He will just come back to life if He wanted to." And then it hit me. Christ choose this cross for many reasons. The first reason that I realized was overcoming fear. The cross was a frightening image at the time, but Christ not only took on the death system, but also won. He used the cross as a victory symbol, just as a hunter would wear the pelt of their kills. Christians use the cross to show how we have overcome death through Christ.

                We also use the cross to remind ourselves of what Christ did. Him taking on the cross was one of the most important moments in History, the next being the resurrection. You see, by Him taking on the cross, He took on all of our sins making us clean. The cross is our way of showing the debt that we owed being paid for. It is like wearing a broken shackle, showing our freedom. We are proud to be free and have no intention of hiding our freedom.

                We also use the cross as a remind of Christ's words. "Then He said to them all: 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." I wear my cross to remind myself that I am taking up my cross and following Christ over myself. I am wearing my cross to follow in the example of Christ. We use the cross to remind ourselves to follow Christ.

                I wear my cross every day and am proud of it. I do not wear it for fashion, for looks, or for the satisfaction of everyone else knowing that I am a Christian. I wear it for myself so that I remember who I am in Christ Jesus. It is a powerful symbol and a blessing, and I consider it an honor to be able to wear my cross for Christ.


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment