Friday, September 7, 2012

Correction




                My friend, Juan, and I both love to argue. We could go for days on end getting into any sort of debate and neither of us will back down. It is our way of communicating. We find happiness from debating with one another and proving our intelligence to each other. There is nothing wrong with this relationship in itself, but when we take our argumentative spirit and apply it to the Gospel, this can be detrimental. If we get into a conversation about the Bible; we cannot come in a spirit of debating to prove who is right, but a spirit of love and correction to keep each other on the right path.

                I must say, I love to debate. I also must say that I love Christ, and I would happily put aside my debater's spirit for the Holy Spirit to step in. I have learned that "all scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17) Every scripture that I read should either challenge me, teach me, or cause me to grow. I must be willing to accept correction. When it comes to the scripture, Jesus corrected many people, even elders of the church and people who were of high ranking positions and spiritual roles. It does not matter about our age, our titles, or anything about us. If we are wrong, we are wrong and must be corrected; and if we are right, we must not waver but instead be humble with the truth.

                I love my disciples, and I love teaching them. It is a passion of mine. As much as I love seeing them grow in Christ, it takes correction to do so. I must put aside my pride to be corrected when the need comes as well. No matter who I look over, I must be willing to be humble and confess my wrongs. Proverbs 29:15 says, "the rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother." If we want to be wise, we must be willing to be corrected; and in order to be corrected, we must recognize and admit when we are wrong.

                When it comes to correction, do not believe anything that comes against you. 1 John 4:1 says, "beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world." We are to be corrected by the word, and not people. Yes, the Holy Spirit can use people to deliver the message, but check it for yourself. Do not be so willing to give up your ways, but do not be so hard headed as to never change. Read the word and ask God for correction. Allow Him to change your heart and improve you.

                We must always be ready to correct our brothers and sisters in Christ, and be equally as ready to be corrected. I know that we I would get corrected, many times I would get angry in the moment. I would soon get over it, but I had to accept the truth about the Gospel and who God truly is. By allowing the Holy Spirit to correct me, I now have a better relationship with God that is only growing. We must not fear being corrected, but embrace it when it happens.


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment