Thursday, September 20, 2012

Relying on God




                "Further, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you." (Philippians 3:1) Paul is writing to the church of Philippi, telling them to rejoice in the Lord. He also says that it is no problem to repeat this. When a teacher repeats something, it is important. Rejoicing in the Lord must be important. Paul also says that it is a safeguard for you. Rejoicing in the Lord is not only something important to remember, but it is something that brings safety.

                When you learn an instrument, you do not always go straight into a song. You learn the cords first. You learn the notes first. You learn the basics until you know them by heart. Rejoicing in the Lord is one of those notes that must be memorized and inscribed onto our hearts. When we learn to rejoice in the Lord, we learn to trust in God over our flesh. Why is that important to trust in God over our flesh?

                "Watch out for those dogs, those evildoers, those mutilators of the flesh. For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by the spirit, Who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh." (Philippians 3:2-3) This is specifically calling out to Christians, saying that we are the ones who serve God by the spirit and who boast in Christ Jesus as opposed to our flesh. When we rejoice in Christ, we trust in Christ. When we trust in Christ, we do not trust in our flesh, our bodies, or our capabilities. Why is this important?

                It is by trusting in Christ that all things are made possible. I always tell myself and my friends, "we cannot save a soul. Only Christ can do that." Our works as a Christian is impossible on our own. We cannot humble ourselves without God. We cannot lead a soul to Christ without Christ. We can do nothing for God without God. That is why we must rely on Christ instead of our flesh.

                "Though I myself have reason for such confidence. If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless." (Philippians 3:4-6) We see Paul telling the church his past. In modern day terms, it would look something like this: "I went to church all of my life, I have been leading ever since I was eighteen. I went to a private Christian school from pre-school to graduate school. I've been on three missions trips a year, I feed the homeless every Sunday after Church. I've read through the Bible three times and have started my own Bible study." None of those things are bad, but Paul tells these points to make a statement.

                "But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I now consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ - the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith." (Philippians 3:7-9) All of these cools things that he has were counted as a loss. He says that none of them matter. The actions and the trips and the life style, none of it matters because that is not where our identity is found. We are not found in the things that we do, but in the heart that God has been changing in us. None of the things above are bad, but Paul is saying that he trusts in Jesus and not his deeds. He relies on God and not an annual mission's trip. His faith is in Christ and not in works. He is relying on God, not on himself.

                But why do that? If none of those works are bad, why not put your trust in them? Why put your trust in God? Well, there is something that putting your trust in God can do that nothing else can.

                "I want to know Christ - yes, to know the power of His resurrection and participate in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead." (Philippians 3:10-11) We trust in God as opposed to our flesh to get to know God. We trust in God as opposed to the flesh because that is the only way to Heaven. Not by works or good deeds, but by faith alone. We trust in God because that is the only way to build a right relationship with Him. We cannot build a relationship with Him according to our works and how many good deeds we have done. Our relationship with God is based completely on faith.

                "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:12-14) We may not be perfect, and we may never be perfect. We will stumble and fall sometimes; but when we trust in Jesus Christ instead of ourselves, we have everything covered. We do not need to worry about being good enough. God covers all things.

                If you want a right relationship in Christ where there are no worries and no fears, trust in Him over yourself. It is not about the good deeds or the places that you have been. It is about God and your personal relationship with Him.


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment