Monday, January 21, 2013

Arguing Religion




                I love to study apologetics, which is the art of defending one's faith; and I am one who loves debates and anything of the like; so it is not a far stretch to imagine that I can easily get into argument mode. I can easily feel offended, look at my enemy, and form arguments to tear apart their statements. In my mind, this is great; but in God's eyes, this is great foolishness and I must keep myself in check at all times.

                When a friendly conversation has turned into a debate, there is no problem; but when a friendly debate has turned into an argument, you are one step away from a shouting match. It is foolishness. If I cannot convey my thoughts without shouting, raising my voice, or cutting off someone else, it is not a thought worth explaining and we must all keep these boundaries in mind. If my goal is just to be right, I have already lost, no matter the outcome of the argument because 2 Timothy 2:23-24 says, "Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil."

                If the purpose of opening my mouth is to argue with you, or win an argument, I am being quarrelsome and failing God the moment I speak. Even If I am right, I am wrong for not being kind to everyone. No one teaches by shouting at someone. I am failing by loosing my patience, even in the face of someone sinning. We must always remember that sharing our faith does not mean shoving it down someone's throat; but to be open and honest about our faith when someone asks about it. Learn when you are failing the Lord by trying to win your arguments; because no one has ever given over their life to Christ after losing an argument.


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment