Friday, August 31, 2012

Rest




                My freshman year of college, I was on fire and constantly moving. I was so busy that I didn't even have time to eat on some days. I was taking a total of thirty-two units and was involved with twelve different clubs and organizations, while trying to make friends and maintain relationships. I thought that rest was a waste of time. In some senses, I thought that I didn't need to rest. It turns out that rest is important. It is so important, that God wants us to rest! "Come to me, all who labor and are heaven laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

                I was always trying to work for God, do for God, be all about God. I was so focused on furthering the Kingdom that I never realized that rest could be a part of my duties. I thought that I needed to get up early, work and "do" all day and night, and sleep the bare minimum. Psalms 127:2 says, "it is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for He gives to His beloved sleep."

                Of course, my thoughts were not this direct. I was too focused on working to realize that this was the pattern that I was showing. Whenever someone needed something, I was the first to volunteer, even if I was too busy. I would make time, which came directly out of my resting time. I wanted to work hard for God. I was grateful, but my actions were only draining me. I needed sleep.

                Mark 2:27 says that the Sabbath was made for man, not man made for the Sabbath. We were not made to work on the Sabbath day, but the Sabbath day was made for our enjoyment. We are to rest.Sometimes we have anxieties about resting. Sometimes, we are afraid that we are supposed to be doing something or that we will not have the time to sleep more or that we do not have the ability or freedom to just sit alone for an hour or do nothing. I know that I had a fear of wasting time, and I still do; but Proverbs 3:24 says, "if you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."

                We must not run ourselves dry. What is the point of a power tool if the batteries have run out? We must rest and recharge so that we may be of better use to those around us, so that we may do better at whatever we put our hands to, and so that we may better serve God. We must not neglect rest. Just like working out, it is a necessary and important part of our growth.


                                                                                                                                         -D

               

No comments:

Post a Comment