Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Proper Lighting




                "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a a bowl. Instead, they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16) We, as Christians, are called to be a light, a shining example. Not of ourselves, but of God. We are not called to bring glory to us, but to bring glory to God. Our light is actually the Holy Spirit moving in us. We are to surrender to Him and allow His light to shine through us so that we may bring glory to the name of our Lord and Savior.

                John 8:12 says, "Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" We no longer walk in darkness! We have been given the light of life!

                Whenever I get in front of people and spread the word of God, I get excited. I am glad to share God's truth and His word, but I must keep myself in check. I have to make sure that my gifts are not being glorified, but that God is. I have heard many times before, "you are a great speaker!" Well, God gave me that gift for a reason and I must do well with it. My gift is not to be glorified, but it is to be used so that I may glorify the gift giver!

                When I stopped trying to give myself glory and started following God, I was able to understand better what the call of Christ was about. I could understand why someone would devote their life to giving someone else praise and glory and honor. I could not understand it until Christ came and changed me. When He gave me new life, I could not express the joy inside. It bubbles up to the surface and makes me want to sing and dance, which I do! I am not ashamed of giving God glory at any time in front of anyone.

                When we surrender to Christ and allow His light to shine bright, we follow 2 Corinthians 3:18. "And we all, with unveiled faces, behold the glory of the Lord, and are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord." We get glory by giving glory, not by seeking it. Glory all belongs to God. We are a light. Our duty is to reveal what cannot be seen in the darkness. We are called to shine a light upon God for those who live in darkness. We cannot seek our own glory and bring God glory as well. We must adjust ourselves and give God the proper lighting at all times. Who else truly deserves all glory?

                So remember, let your light shine on Christ, "and whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." (Colossians 3:17)


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment