Friday, February 1, 2013

To Whom Would We Go




                When Jesus was preaching to a large crowd, telling them what it would be like to follow Him, many of them began to leave. Jesus was speaking serious stuff, telling them to do things that they began to grumble about. Many of them said it would be too hard, and Jesus was not going to sugar coat the Gospel just to keep some numbers around. He was up front with the costs and the gains. All but twelve left His side.

                John 6:67-69 records this. It says, "Then Jesus turned to the Twelve and asked, 'Are you also going to leave?' Simon Peter replied, 'Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God.'"

                Peter says something that resonates so deeply with me. Jesus asks him, will you leave too like everyone else because I didn't only tell you about the good? And Peter replies with that question that is so profound. Where else would we go?

                You see, I am not a Christian because I have no where else to go and I just stumbled into a church. I know exactly what else I could do. I could go to the Military and build in the ranks. I could drop out of college and go home to work full time at the job that I have at home. I could keep my major and travel the country being a motivational speaker. I could become a psychologist and help children and parents alike. I could list 101 things that I could do successfully and go do them all; but none of them are rewarding when standing next to Christ.

                No amount of motivational speeches stacks up to one sermon that brings someone to Christ. No amount of psychological work will ever stack up to a council meeting with someone in the church who needs help. I am not saying that those other jobs are bad. What I am saying is that life without Christ is empty and meaningless. I am not a Christian because I would fail without Christ. I am a Christian because Christ is worth it. He makes my life worth living and He alone brings satisfaction and joy that never ends.

                I'm not a Christian because I don't know what else to do. I'm a Christian because I know exactly what else to do. I know everything else I could do. That is what makes Peter's words resonate so deeply with me. "Where else would we go?"


                                                                                                                                         -D

No comments:

Post a Comment